Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Homesick and More Artist Appreciation

I was watching a PBS special about the Adirondacks...

Saw some paintings by Winslow Homer...




























and A. F. Tait...






And also found some other unattributed stuff, such as:



So, even though it's not exactly FIW-era, it still gives an excellent idea of the nature of the countryside, and the extent to which the residents hold the place dear.

Apparently Winslow Homer is my favorite artist. Based on the "hunting dogs" picture in our living room when I was little, A. F. Tait was my father's favorite artist. (Either him or the guy who did the Zane Grey paperback novel covers in the 70s.)

For my fellow lovers of the Adirondacks. At look at the enduring "nautical" spirit of a mountainous, "landlocked" place, the land of swamp and marsh and pond, the land of creek, stream and lake. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment