Thursday, August 28, 2014

Art of War: Robert Griffing, Nat Youngblood, Randy Steele and Others

I've been reading quite a bit of pretty dry history and technical information lately, studying up for this project. So yesterday I went searching for something more visually informative, and discovered that I liked the work of at least three of the artists in particular (and that at least two people had recommended one of them at least two weeks ago).

That Victor Mays painting I posted yesterday (the cover to F. van Wyck Mason's The Battle for Quebec) reminded me of the effect that the (somewhat?) romanticized paintings had on me as a kid learning about the conflict.

I'll have to look these guys up, in addition to just posting some of their work, but first, here are some barely researched and largely unattributed, but nonetheless informative pictures.

Robert Griffing


 
Nat Youngblood
 



Randy Steele
 









 
Giuseppe Rava
 
 
A Host of Others:
 








 
 
 
Hopefully, I'll edit this post as I learn more about these artists and their works. Some interesting details are evident in many of them, and perhaps we'll revisit them later to discuss them more specifically.
 
 
For now, this is my first attempt at an FIW visual archive, which suggests that maybe I need a Pinterest, or should use my flickr or photobucket. But I did notice yesterday that Picasa archives my blogger, so that's nice to know.
 
 
Of note also is the fine FIW flickr of oabee, which consists almost entirely of Robt. Griffing Woodland Native portraits and groups, which should be the top link on the right-hand sidebar on my blog, but here it is again in case I lost it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/92083398@N08/with/8452093048/
 
 
A brief post today, without a lot of research or attribution, but a visually fulfilling one no less. It gives an idea of the participants, and their equipment. Artist bios welcomed.
 
Much more to follow. If you know more about these, please leave a reply.
 
Update: As you can see by the nifty new Artist Appreciation Widget, which is now in the new upper right-hand corner of the page, I even found the time to link to some sites which perhaps are attached to the artists themselves. Further perusal there can only be encouraged, and I salute their efforts to delineate this important historical conflict.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment